We can help you through this difficult process by obtaining the Grant of Probate on your behalf. We will also undertake the collecting and distributing of assets.
How much does this service cost?
we will charge you the following hourly rates for the work:
|1||Partners with over 8 years’ post-qualification experience||£200.00|
|2||Solicitors and legal executives with over 4 years’ post-qualification experience||£175.00|
|3||Solicitors of less than 4 years’ post-qualification experience, legal executives and fee earners of equivalent experience||£ 165.00|
|4||Trainees, paralegals and fee earners of equivalent experience||£ 100.00|
All routine correspondence which we write will be charged at 1/10th of the hourly rate, while routine correspondence we receive will be charged at 1/20th of the hourly rate.
All routine telephone calls, either made or received, will be charged at 1/10th of the hourly rate.
More complicated correspondence and telephone calls will be charged at the hourly rate for the actual time they take.
If your instructions mean we have to work outside normal office hours, we may increase the level of the hourly rates. We will notify you in writing of any increases.
We will add VAT to our fees at the rate that applies when the work is completed (if we are registered for VAT). Currently VAT is charged at 20%.
If we have agreed an agreed fixed fee we will endeavour to carry out the work within the fixed fee. However, if the matter becomes complicated or prolonged for whatever reasons we reserve the right to charge you more than our standard hourly rate but we will inform you of the same before we do so.
There may be other expenses which we need to pay on your behalf. These can include:
- court fees;
- fees for expert reports;
- barristers’ fees.
These will be listed separately on your bill and you may be charged VAT in relation to these expenses.
Probate court fee to be advised ( typical Court fee for a personal application is £215 regardless of the size of the estate. The fee is slightly lower (£155) if you apply through a solicitor)
£5-£7 Swearing of the oath (per executor).
Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (changed £2 per beneficiary).
Fees for Post in The London Gazette – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors.
Fees for Post in a Local Newspaper – This also helps to protect against unexpected claims.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Our service will include:
- a dedicated probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and securely send two copies to you
- Collect and distribute all assets in the estate
Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 4-8 weeks. Collecting assets then follows,
The additional work to administer the estate can take on average 6-9 months, however, this can vary depending on the legal and financial complexities of the deceased’s estate.
The Complexities include:
- There are no more than 3 bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are multiple beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
Potential additional costs
If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost more again to be advised.
Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.